Surgical Robotics - Minimally Invasive Neurosurgical Intracranial Robot (MINIR) (Mingyen Ho)
Brain tumors are among the most feared complications of cancer and they occur in 20-40% of adult cancer patients. Despite numerous advances in treatment, the prognosis for these patients is poor, with a median survival of 4-8 months. The primary reasons for poor survival rate are the lack of good continuous imaging modality for intraoperative intracranial procedures and the inability to remove the complete tumor tissue due to its placement in the brain and the corresponding space constraints to reach it. To overcome the above limitations, we envision developing a Minimally Invasive Neurosurgical Intracranial Robot (MINIR), which would be operated in an intraoperative MRI environment. We envision MINIR to be under the direct control of a human operator, with targeting information obtained exclusively from frequently-updated MRI. MINIR will be fully MRI compatible, so that frequently-updated MRI can be used to provide virtual visualization of the target by the human operator as the target's 3-dimensional shape changes during tumor removal.
|The function of MINIR|
|Schematic of MINIR||Manufactured MINIR|
- Mingyen Ho and Jaydev P. Desai, “Characterization of Antagonistic SMA Spring Actuators for use in a MRI-Compatible Intracranial Robot”, In ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference - DSCC 2012, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, October 17-19, 2012 (Accepted).
- Mingyen Ho, Alan B. McMillan, J. Marc Simard, Rao Gullapalli, and Jaydev. P. Desai, “Toward a Meso-Scale SMA-Actuated MRI-Compatible Neurosurgical Robot”, IEEE Transaction on Robotics, vol. 28, no. 1, pages 213-222, 2012.[PDF ]
- Mingyen Ho and Jaydev P. Desai, “Towards the Development of a SMA-Actuated MRI-Compatible Tendon-Driven Neurosurgical Robot”, In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation - ICRA 2012, Saint Paul, MN, May 14-18, 2012.[PDF ]
- Arvind Ananthanarayanan, Leicester Ehrlich, Mingyen Ho, Jaydev P. Desai and Satyandra K. Gupta, “Embedding Shape Memory Alloy Actuators in Miniature Articulating Polymer Structures Using In-Mold Assembly”, In North American Manufacturing Research Conference - NAMRC 40, University of Notre Dame, IN, June 4-8, 2012.[PDF ]
- A. Ananthanarayanan, L. Ehrlich, Jaydev P. Desai, and S. K. Gupta, “Design of revolute joints for in-mold assembly using insert molding,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design (Accepted).
- Mingyen Ho and Jaydev P. Desai, “Design of a MRI-compatible tendon-driven neurosurgical robot”, In ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference - DSCC 2011, Arlington, VA, October 31~November 2, 2011. [PDF ]
- Mingyen Ho, Michael Koltz, J. Marc Simard, Rao Gullapalli, Jaydev P. Desai, “Towards a MR image-guided SMA-actuated neurosurgical robot”, In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation - ICRA 2011, Shanghai, China, May 9~13, 2011. [PDF ]
- A. Ananthanarayanan, F. Bussemmer, Jaydev P. Desai, and S. K. Gupta, “Fabrication of highly articulated miniature snake robot strucutres using in-mold assembly of compliant joints,” International Symposium on Experimental Robotics (ISER), New Delhi, India, December 2010.
- Mingyen Ho and Jaydev P. Desai, “Towards a MRI-Compatible Meso-Scale SMA-Actuated Robot using PWM Control”, In Third IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics - BioRob 2010, Tokyo, Japan, September 26-29, 2010. [PDF ]
- A. Ananthanarayanan, L. Ehrlich, Jaydev P. Desai, and S. K. Gupta, “Design of revolute joints for insert molding: A step towards realizing low cost highly articulated robot structures,” ASME Design for Manufacturing and Lifecycle Conference, Montreal, Canada, August 2010.
- Mingyen Ho, and Jaydev P. Desai, “Characterization of SMA actuator for application in robotic neurosurgery”, in 31st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society - EMBC 2009, Minneapolic, MN, September 2-6, 2009. [PDF ]
- Nicholas Pappafotis, Wojciech Bejgerowski, Rao Gullapalli, Marc Simard, Satyandra K. Gupta, and Jaydev P. Desai, “Towards Design and Fabrication of a miniature MRI-compatible Robot for Applications in Neurosurgery”, In Proceedings of the ASME 2008 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, IDETC/CIE, 2008.