I was a Research Associate in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland at College Park, working in the Robotics, Automation, and Medical Systems (RAMS) Laboratory, supervised by Professor Jaydev P. Desai.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Jan. 2007
- M.S., Precision Mechanical Engineering, University of Science and Technology of China, 1997
- B.S., Precision Mechanical Engineering, University of Science and Technology of China, 1994
- Reseach done at UMD
- Modeling soft-tissue probing, cutting, dissection, and electrocautery tasks using FEM. Computational / analytical models will be based on experimental data from ex vivo studies on animal tissues and/or organs and also from in vivo studies for the above tasks. The developed models will then be displayed on a haptic feedback display
- Modeling and simulation of two types of electro-active polymers, dielectric elastomers and ferroelectric polymers, using FEM
- Developed a global approach of Digital Image Correlation (DIC) technique to measure full-field strain distributions
- Micro-mechanical modeling of void nucleation using Monte Carlo method
- Digital Moiré
- Zhan Gao, and Jaydev P. Desai, “Estimating zero-strain states of very soft tissue under gravity loading using digital image correlation”, Medical Image Analysis, DOI: 10.1016/j.media.2009.11.002, 2010.
- Zhan Gao, Kevin Lister, and Jaydev P. Desai, “Constitutive modeling of liver tissue: experiment and theory”, Annals Biomedical Engineering, DOI: 10.1007/s10439-009-9812-0, 2010.
- Zhan Gao, Theodore Kim, Doug L. James, Jaydev P. Desai, “Semi-automated soft-tissue acquisition and modeling for surgical simulation”, 5th Annual IEEE Conference on Automation Science and Engineering, CASE 2009, pp. 268-273, August 22-25, 2009.
- Gao Z, Lister K, and Desai JP, “Constitutive modeling of liver tissue: experiment and theory”. Second biennial IEEE/RAS-EMBS International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics-BioRob, October 2008.
- Cao Y, Bly R, Moore W, Gao Z,
Cuitino AM, and Soboyejo WO, “On the measurement of human osteosarcoma cell
elastic modulus using shear assay experiments”. J Mater Sci-Mater M
- Zhou J, Gao Z, Cuitino AM, and
Soboyejo WO, “Fatigue of as-fabricated open cell aluminum foam”. J Eng Mater Technol Trans ASME 2005;127(1):
- Zhou J, Gao Z, Cuitiño AM, and
Soboyejo WO, “Effects of heat treatment on the compressive deformation behavior
of open cell aluminum foams”. Mater Sci Eng A
- Gao Z, Zhou S, and Hu Y, “High-speed fringe analysis by using stair-shaped virtual grating demodulation”. Opt Laser Eng 1997;28(6):411-22.